Monday, September 13, 2010

AND THERE IT WAS! The Prized Piece of LuRay

While on our way up to New York state for a recent vacation we drove and drove and drove.

The scenery was not that great. There weren't any fun places to stop for a break either.
The Allegheny National Forest didn't lend itself to antique shopping so we kept driving... hoping the DVD player was not going to run out of batteries, causing Bebe to start wailing.

But I digress.

Let me just get to the good part.

Out of the blue in a pretty run down looking part of the drive.... stood a beat up old barn-like/old hotel kind of building. We were so surprised by it we had to swing back around to get to it. And I forgot to take my camera out of the car, so there are no photos.

But what happened in the next minute is what has me so excited.

We walked in and it was apparent that no one had done ANY cleaning in this place for lets say, the past 20 years, which was how long this guy said he was in business.

We continue walking down one of the skinny aisles of shelves which held item after item when we both stopped and turned to look at one particular shelf.

A voice says "let me know if I can help you find something."

I'm thinking "yeah yeah... I'll bet he doesn't have any LuRay." So I turn to my hubby and say quietly "Ask him if he has any LuRay."

Just then I look down and see a small gathering of LuRay right in front of me on a lower shelf.

And not only is it just a small gathering... it is a rare piece which is like the holy grail to a LuRay collector.

A water tumbler!!!!!!! (....cue hallelujah music....)






Yep. Here it is. Looks simple and plain enough. I have been collecting since 1992 and this is my very first one!


I've had four of the small juice tumblers for years (see them on the fourth shelf down?) but I've never been able to buy a water tumbler ...


I even go through phases where I think I'm going to sell-off my collection and get bored with it. The temptation to start collecting something new or to decorate the kitchen cabinets with a different color is tough to resist.
But finding a new-to-me, rare piece gets me back in the mood again.

Love my LuRay!




9 comments:

gail said...

and a wonderful collection it is!!!
Such pretty colors, and looks so cheery in the cupboard. Methinks you should keep on collecting....
gail

j said...

Your collection is gorgeous! I love that feeling of taking home a really good find. Yay for you!

Claudia said...

Congrats! You never know what you're going to find when you walk in a dusty old shop. I love your LuRay collection - the colors are so wonderful.

xo
Claudia

Sherrie said...

I love lu-ray, but only have a dozen pieces or so. Believe it or not, all have come from Goodwill at one time or another. I pretty much do a dance in the aisle when I find one. I am drooling over yours. Thanks fr sharing.

Ms.Daisy said...

Jillian,
Congratulations on finding that so rare piece of LuRay! Yay!




Love,
Ms.DaisyMau

Thespa McLaughlin said...

It's always that little lift to your heart when you find your own personal treasure that will keep you going. Congrats!

kab said...

That is AWESOME! I love your luray collection....don't ever sell it! :) Sista K

MJ said...

Good for you! I always think that things need to be with their proper owner & they've been waiting for you!

Lisa said...

That is always the best to find a prize! I love to collect and part of it is the hunt! Enjoy!
Hugs, Lisa