Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Let's Talk Vintage #76: A Spring Tablescape With LuRay Pastels Dinnerware

 
Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!
Thank you for coming to the party.

To link up all you need is a blog post
about something vintage or a link to something
vintage you sell online.

Link as much as you want, there's
plenty of room here!

If you have some time, check out
some of the other posts and meet
someone new.
 
 
This week I'm springing up lovely pastel color on 
my table using my vintage LuRay dinnerware.


I'm showing the different pieces
that can be found and approximate
prices for them. The guide book
that was first printed in the early 1990's
by the Meehan's is also a good gauge and
prices have not shot up since then.
Some of them have actually lowered
due to the flooding of internet sales.

Price Guide Note: My prices may change and fluctuate
with the ever changing market.

Disclaimer: Some of my pieces have chips and or
nicks in them but I keep them because they are
part of my collection. Prices shown are for
pieces that would be in mint condition.
 
 
LuRay, which is considered a pottery line,
was created by Taylor, Smith, and Taylor 
in West Virginia, to be an alternative to the 
bright colors of Fiestaware by Homer Laughlin.
 
They were made from the late
1930's to the early 1950's.
 
 
I've been collecting this line
of dinnerware since 1992.

The colors are referred to as:
 (from top to bottom layers)

Sharon Pink
Windsor Blue
Persian Cream
Surf Green

There is also Chatham Gray
which is very hard to find.
I sold off my gray pieces back
in the height of eBay sales because
I really didn't like the gray.

The money I made from them helped
me purchase pieces I did like.
 
 
This is an example of all of the different size plates.
Dinner: $15.00 - 20.00
Luncheon: $10.00 - 12.00 
Salad: $10.00 - 5.00
 Dessert:  $10.00 - 5.00
Bread: $4.00 - 6.00
 
and a berry bowl ($5.00 - $6.00)
is on top for accent.
 
 
Plates are easier to find as well as these
coupe soup bowls. Coupe soups used to sell
for $20.00 a piece but prices have dropped. 
$12.00 - $16.00 is about where they are now.
 
 
 These are the "Tab Soup" bowls. They are not
 as common as the coupe soup and 
are great for cereal, ice cream, soup, etc.
 
I would probably
ask $15.00 - 20.00 a piece.

Serving Pieces:

Some serving pieces are easier to find...
like the salt and pepper shakers.


Very common and will sell
for approx. $8.00 to $12.00 a piece.
They come in all five colors.


In this photo you can see three different
pieces. The egg cup $25.00 - $35.00
the grill plate $25.00 - 35.00,
and the $50.00 oatmeal bowl which is
referred to as a 36's bowl.

Some serving pieces are harder to find.


Like the ball pitcher/jug.
Not as common but I wouldn't call
it a rare piece. What is difficult is to
find one without any chips or nicks.
Price: $55.00 - $85.00
During a move I dropped something on
the pink pitcher and it broke. I glued it
back together and still use it for display.


The salad bowl.
10" diameter and very thick/heavy.
Great bowl for pasta, too!
They run around 50.00 - 60.00
depending on color. I've mostly
seen them in yellow. The pink
was a real joy to find!


Teapot, Cups, Saucers
Teapot: $75.00 - $85.00
Cup and Saucer:  $8.00 - $12.00

Gravy double spout gravy dish
with attached underplate:
More common and I've seen them
in Sharon Pink and Persian Cream.
Price: $12.00 - $20.00 depending
on the color. Yellow is most common.

The butter dish: $40.00 - $50.00

The After Dinner Coffee Pot Set:
Coffee Pot: $125.00 - $150.00
Sugar/Creamer: $35.00 - $45.00

The mixing bowls.
There are four sizes and
should come in different colors.
When collecting however, it
is up to you what kind of set you
want to build.

You'd better save up for it though...

the bowls can run from $100.00 to $150.00
depending on the size or color you need.




LuRay Store Sign:
This is a reproduction and was found on eBay.
There are probably more and it is fun piece to have.


The back explains the dinnerware history.

Made by "A China Specialties" and apparently
it is a "Limited Edition Collectible."
 
 
Rare Items:

 
This is the muffin cover.
The underplate is simply the 8" salad plate.
Most of the time you find the muffin cover
and no underplate. The size that fits just right
is usually very hard to find.
 
Together you are probably going to pay
between a $100.00 -$120.00



 
This is the juice pitcher and the four
coordinating juice cups.
 
Very hard to find. The pitcher
itself can go for $120.00 - $150.00
while you might pay $35.00 - $45.00
per cup.
 
(Also note the pink platter underneath...
it is more common and would probably
cost $12.00 - $18.00)
 
 
This is a nut dish. Very rare!

These can sell for 100.00 or more.
Mine has a big chip on the underside
of the rim... but I love it because it
was is a real treasure to find! Besides,
you can't see it anyway.

 

This is a cream soup. Due to the difficulty of finding
these in good condition, or even finding them at all,
they go for $55.00 - $75.00.


These are the two drinking cups.
Also hard to come by.
The larger is a water tumbler $85.00 - $90.00.
The smaller is a juice tumbler $55.00 - $65.00.


The  two tiered tidbit tray.
Very rare and difficult to gauge
a price... it all depends on the
desirability.
The bamboo stand pieces
were probably made by another
company. The backstamp is still
on the bottom of the plates.

_______________
Items I don't have:

The small bud vases. Very rare
and sell for $300.00.

The chocolate pot set. Very rare
and would probably sell for:
 
Chocolate pot: $350.00
Sugar/Creamer: $85.00 - $100.00 each.
Cups Saucers: $75.00 each.

The flower epergne. I had one
and sold it to help pay for my wedding.
They sell for approx. $75.00 - $100.00

The casserole dish with lid.
Selling price: $55.00 - $75.00

The four compartment relish.
Price ranges from $55.00 - $75.00.
 __________________________

Go alongs:
 
Go alongs are what collectors refer to as
pieces that "go along" really well with the set
as though they were coordinating pieces.



I love finding little creamers or pitchers
that are the same pastel color.

I'll even add picks for hors d' ourves!


For a breakfast table I like to collect
these syrup/cream dispensers.
 

Last year I was thrilled to find
 wine glasses in green, pink, yellow, and blue!
 
 

I found this yellow petalware style bowl and the under plate and thought the colors went perfectly with my LuRay. Neither piece is marked and neither piece is considered LuRay.



This striped drinking glass is a winner in my book
as being my favorite Go Along. It took me
years of searching in antique malls and shops,
to find this set. They go along so well!
 
 
 
The same with these smaller juice
glasses. I only have three and would
be thrilled to add some to the collection. 
 
 
*******
Now for this week's features:


I loved the quilts over at Amy's
 A Day of Small Things.
Beautiful and what a treasure
to pass on through the family!


and Lauren of My Wonderfully Made
shared a craft she developed for
her church gathering using scrap
wood/fence board. Love these
verse holders!


and how about these rummage
sale pickin's over at Debra's blog,
Shoppe No. 5. Looks like it was a
fun time. Give her a big 'ol
LTV welcome!


 
Remember, if you were featured today or during any other "Let's Talk Vintage!" post, you may grab this LTV button by right clicking and saving it to your computer to use on your blog side bar.
 
*******
 
Sharing with these great link parties:
 

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Goodness, I love your vintage dinnerware set. The mix of pastels are just perfect for spring decor, They kind of remind me of Melmac in design yet I think these are a pottery material? Anyway I love them!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jillian,
OMG!! That is an amazing collection of Lu Ray!! Stunning!! The colors are perfect for Spring and Summer!! I have only one piece which is a platter in Persian Cream.
Thanks so much for hosting!!
Hugs,
Deb

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Wow Jillian, what a wonderful collection and the colors are perfect for Spring and Easter! I'm sure I have seen them around but thought they were Fiesta Ware. Your are right the glasses definitely look great with them. And the white bunny makes a perfect little addition amongst the pastels! Well done!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oops, forgot to thank you for hosting such a fun party! Sending hugs!

Melissa said...

This is the best info on LuRay I've found yet! Glad to know that where I've priced the pieces I've found are in line with yours!

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Wow! What a fabulous collection - so pretty. I love the variety and that they all work together. Great features as always too. Happy Easter Jillian! Jane

Sandi Magle said...

Luray just screams spring---well maybe it trills, lol. Gorgeous collection you have going and it is all about spring, isn't it.
thanks for the share, Sandi

Rita C at Panoply said...

Very nice collection, Jill. LuRay, as you probably know, originated in WV, and there are still occasional auctions and estate sales nearby that will have pieces. I will keep my eyes peeled for your wish list. ;) There's a local firm who deal exclusively in MCM furniture and accessories, and they just wrote an article this past week on tableware, including LuRay. My holy grail is jadeite and Greenbrier china, but I've slowed down recently. Having said that, I just set a Spring, Easter table with lots of vintage! Thanks for having us, and I hope you have a great Easter week.
Rita

Betty said...

Your dishes are spectacular. Thanks for all the info and wonderful pictures, and thanks for hosting the party!

Lauren at Wonderfully Made said...

Thanks for the feature Jill! Oh my gosh -- I ADORE your dinnerware set!! I have not heard of that type but it is right up my alley -- not good haha! I collect the Taylor Smith Taylor Boutonniere dinnerware. I scored BIG time on Ebay last year when someone had HUNDREDS of pieces they just wanted to get rid of! I already had 8 place settings and bought 12 more plus a few serving pieces -- for less that 75.00! I felt like a thief lol.

My thrift store addiction said...

What a beautiful vintage collection, Jillian! Thank you for the party!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Jillian, thank you for the info on LuRay pastels. I've seen it before but never knew anything about it. Thanks for hosting. sb

Diana said...

I love your Lu Ray, Jill and think it's perfect for spring. Thanks so much for the party :)

Sam - Raggedy Bits said...

Ohhh my I just LOVE your Lu Ray collection!!! It's just amazing..... so many yummy colours and so perfect for spring! Thank you so much for hosting and I hope you and your family have a safe and happy Easter! :-)

Debra said...

Thank you for the warm welcome. I love your Lu Ray dish collection. I had not heard of them until today. It was a very interesting post. And the colors are so pretty for springtime. Very enjoyable.

Cynthia said...

Thank you for the party, Jillian! I must say that I just LOVE your LuRay dinner ware. It's so pretty, and if I were a collector, I'd want every color!

Curtains in My Tree said...


I have seen a lot of LuRay lately
I bought my daughter a serving bowl for 50 cents lately

It's all so pretty together definitely an Easter table look with all the pastels

Sherry Cole said...

I think these dishes may be the prettiest I have ever seen. They look like Spring and Easter. Thanks for sharing.

Heidi | Mysweetcottage.com said...

Love your pastel tableware! So pretty. Thanks for hosting another lovely party.

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Totally loving all your LuRay Jill. It's gorgeous! And so perfect for this time of year. Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Charm.