Tuesday, July 31, 2012

LuRay Pastels Dinnerware: Celebrating 20 Years


CELEBRATING
20
Years!
1992-2012

My vintage LuRay pastels
dinnerware collection.
It all started with a trip to a
Salvation Army in my college years.

I spotted a stack of pink dishes.
Thought they were great
But didn't buy them.

When I went back to get them
They were gone.
I wanted to know
More about vintage dishes.

At that point I was hooked
and had to know
what they were &
where to find them
I went to the library.
(There was no google,
no internet...gasp!)
I found a book which
had a section on LuRay dinnerware.


It wasn't until about four years later
that I found my first piece.
In the back of a dusty
antique shop's
garage...by the beach in NJ.


Then came all of the basic pieces.
Teacups, plates, soup and cereal bowls.

I've paid  some outrageous prices...
and found some awesome deals
along the way.


Since then I've been adding unusual or
vintage "Go Alongs" as we collectors
like to call them.

This set of drinking
glasses took a very long
time to find.

Not LuRay but they go
along great!


 I found this two
tiered tidbit tray in the same antique shop,
 but in their main shop along
the famous boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ.

I love it!
These are very hard to find.
The bamboo style handle is unusual.


Thanks to ebay I finished
my mixing bowl collection.
The yellow bowl was my first.
Back in the day (1998) when ebay
was new and amazing...
Remember those days?

I was so excited.
I kept exclaiming "I won! I won!"
Sigh.
I enjoy finding the pieces in
person now.
Much more exciting!
 
All of these pieces
are not LuRay but
I couldn't help but add them
to the collection.
As well as these
syrup or cream dispensers!
What can I say?

The thrill of the hunt.


And I've enjoyed
every minute
of the past 20 years!

I'd love to hear about
your LuRay collection
or
maybe Fiesta
or other vintage item
you love to collect.

Stop by and say hello!
 
Linking with Etsy Cottage Style
Entertaining party.
 
 

6 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Aren't those so pretty! I love the pastels.

Sarah said...

I inherited a 12 place setting of Luray when I was in college. It had been my grandmother's. Since then, I have steadily added to my collection and have even found several gray pieces. Therefore, I loved seeing your blog posting and your impressive collection! Like you said, there is a thrill in the hunt:)

Anonymous said...

My mother bought her mother-in-law a set of Luray Pastels in 1950 or 1951. She liked them so much that she bought herself a set the following year. I began to collect Luray in 1992, using my grandmother's and mother's remaining dishes as starters. It was my first real collectible. I now have over 40 ceramic and glass dinnerware sets from the 1930s to the 1990s, but LuRay remains a favorite!

kitchenkitch on ebay

Unknown said...

Oh Jillian,
What a wonderful collection and great story.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

You learn somethin' new everyday! I have been collecting and around antiques and vintage for over 30 years and have never heard of LuRay dishes! But I really love them now that I know!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

You learn somethin' new everyday! I have been collecting and around antiques and vintage for over 30 years and have never heard of LuRay dishes! But I really love them now that I know!