Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Monster High and Vampire Villas: Morbid toys put out by stores like Kohl's, Costco, Kmart, and Target

Have you seen the
toys being sold for
young girls
in stores like
Costco, Kohl's,
K-Mart
and Target?
 
As you can see,
today's post
is not going to
be about antiques.
 
I'm also a Mom
and I'm not
going to remain quiet
any longer.
 
The Christmas season is
just around the corner
and the toys being
marketed to young
girls are downright scary.
 
Literally!
No joke.
 
They are given
titles like
Monster High
"Die-Ner"

Like diner.
 
Get it?
 
Look!

Funny huh?

 
This one is called
Monster High
Scarily Ever After
Frankie Stein doll.

 
This is an actual photo
I took while shopping
in Costco.
 
This "Vampire Villa"
dollhouse is shaped
like a coffin!
 
 
The doll furniture is
decorated with skulls
and crossbones!!!!
The doll coffee table
is in the shape of a
coffin too.

They are charging you $84.99
for this dollhouse which will,
in my opinion, lead to many
years of costly therapy for
your precious little one when
she grows up!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not
a fuddy duddy. I watched the
Munsters while growing up.

But where oh where does
this toy go next when your
daughter is a little bit older.

What does she like then?
 
What clothes or accessories
 will she buy?
 
 
Nothing that looks like
Gidget, that's for sure.
 
I'm a Mom and I'm
not going to take it
anymore!
 
The world is scary
enough for these
kids....
 
Writing letters and
making phone calls.
Yep.
 
I'm letting my voice be heard.
It's my job as a Mom!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Maren has been begging for a MH doll for a couple of years now but I just can't handle them so I've said no, much to her disappointment. Halloween may be my favorite holiday but I just really do not like those darn dolls, for some reason! You're not alone!

Miss Kitty said...

I think it's gross and I wouldn't follow the phase, it will go away eventually...we hope.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I totally agree!! I am not big on Halloween because of all that stuff. It has already gotten to my 8 year old granddaughter....she is being a Vampiress for Halloween. You should see the costume! I can't say anything of course but it is just too sad.

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

Good for you! I don't find these things even cute or appealing. Death should not be made out to be something fun!

I am so glad I was a little girl when I was and my daughters, too. I played with normal dolls by Madame Alexander and while my girls and grand girls were in a different era, theirs were normal, too. My youngest daughter had everything Strawberry Shortcake. I think halloween is fun for a day, but leave it there!

BeautifulChaos said...

What qualifies for "normal" for one generation doesn't for another. These dolls aren't about death, or making death fun. They're daughters and sons of mythical monsters, the traditional villains in classical literature. By making these dolls (monster high dolls) relatable and likeable, it takes away the fear and scariness that generations before correlated to these characters, such as Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, Medusa, the Werewolf, Loch Ness Monster, the Phantom of the Opera, the Abominable snowman, ect.
We have let our kids watch Monsters Inc, Harry Potter, Beetlejuice, The Goonies, Hotel Transylvania, Frankenweenie, Show White (she dies and is kept in a glass box) Shrek, Sleeping Beauty (in fact most classic Disney movie have monstrous villains).....why are these so different?
I don't mind them in the least.
Also, death is a natural and inevitable part of life, and merits a conversation with your children, when they are ready. Teaching or reinforcing them to fear death (when it's already intrinsically ingrained in us as humans) is really just teaching them not to cherish and live life abundantly.


But don't get me started on how slutty Bratz dolls are.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Thank you, BeautifulChaos, for your comment on my blog post. Much appreciated...I am open to hearing other's opinions....just like this was my opinion.

We are not afraid of death in our family because we have nothing to be afraid of. We know where we are going and it is an awesome Eternal Life with our Heavenly Father. I pray that you and your family will get to know Him, too. He's waiting to hear from you. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness
Reading these comments made me feel very sorry for you all, until I read beautify chaos comment.
You made alot of sence and also stated some facts about monster high dolls.
The People on here just have no knowledge.

My daughter absolutely loves her monster high dolls just as much as she loves playing with her baby's and attending her catholic school.
As long as she is role playing, I know she is learning.

Honestly who am I to stop her from learning and one thing I must say is " our father blessed us with children, we don't own them! We are here to teach them and lead them.

And who do you think you are
"You say these dolls are wrong to play with blah blah blah, you should remember its bad "a sin" to use technology
It's also very sad that you have used our Heavenly Father on this topic" it's ok because I will pray for you, to be forgiven"

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Hi Julie! Thanks so much for your comment and for taking the time to read my blog post. Much appreciated. I welcome both "for" and "against" comments and yours is a "for." Great! You can have your opinion too.

I obviously feel different.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!