Monday, December 20, 2010

Second Chance Tuesday #13 - Antique Books

Today I'm sharing an old blog post from my former blog, Jillian's Pages for week number thirteen of :



This is the bookshelf in our family room, next to the fireplace. I am slowly filling it with my vintage book collection. Fun stops from Maine down through to Virginia have helped fill in the gaps here and there. How do I choose? It has to be a special book, like a classic or the artwork on the cover has to be intricate.




The artwork is probably what appeals to me the most. You just don't find this kind of detail on books anymore. Each one is different, like a snowflake! And of course, I love the metallic titles on the binding.


I always keep these three together...since they all seem to have romantic titles and the colors compliment each other. (I never said I was an intellectual. It's all about how they LOOK.)


This is my poetry section. (Like I have a library or something! I also have a classics section. Hey, at least they're not alphabetized with the Dewey decimal system.) The white Tennyson book has the most beautiful pink rose on the cover, otherwise it wouldn't fit the "criteria" I have in mind for what kind of book makes it onto THE BOOKSHELF. But this white book, albeit boring on the binding, is gorgeous on the front. So, I make exceptions. I'll have to add a picture of it for you.



This book I keep in it's own special holder on the mantle...my Dear Hubby brought it home one day for me. Very sweet!
But, I only keep it out during winter... which is kind of ironic, because if anyone has been following my blog for any length of time, would know I'm not a big fan of winter...and would be very happy if we only had spring, summer, and fall.

If you're looking for vintage books or for unique vintage finds, check out my virtual antique boutique here.

If you'd like to join in with SCT here is Mr. Linky:



2 comments:

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

I knew you've been collecting them - it's neat to actually see them. I love them too!

Ms.Daisy said...

Jillian,
Love this post with your collection of books. They look lovely no matter how you catalogue them! Can't wait to see the white one with the pink rose on the cover.

Love,
Ms.Daisymau