Sunday, October 5, 2008

Antiques & Collectibles

What is it about antiques and collectibles that draws us to antique shops and malls in nooks and crannies in far away places? For me, it is the nostalgic look back into the past. Seeing a glimpse into a time I never knew. Reading about what life used to be like and finding their actual tools or instruments or playthings really make it fun to browse.

What do I buy? Well, I love so many different items for my collections....jewelry, vintage or retro kitchen items (especially when found in PINK,) vintage beaded evening bags always catch my eye, pretty porcelain pitchers with floral or rose transfers just to name a few. I have a growing collection of vintage books from the late 1800's so when I can find one in good condition for 5.00 or less, I add it to my purchases. This makes it challenging and fun to set a low price and hope to find one in my travels. I have found most of them in New England, either on the way to visit my Father in Maine, or on the way back in New Hampshire, Vermont, etc.

Recently I have started collecting crystal pieces. I'm not sure what it is but I like the heavy glass in the pretty cut patterns and the way they sparkle in a china cabinet.

What do you like to collect? Leave me a comment or two about your collections or love of all things vintage!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jillian I so enjoy coming to your blog to see all the wonderful vintage finds. In the last year I find myself so drawn to anything old and worn. It is so refreshing to find something with history and a past, as apposed to 'made in China' crap. I love old books, china cabinets and bone china tea cups.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Ah yes, the hunt for vintage treasures. I'm always looking for fabrics and beautiful old postcards. Buttons, lace trims, and seam bindings can usually be found at reasonable prices, as well.

Kimberly :)

Clementina said...

After my mom died I inherited all of her vintage pieces. When I was younger, I didn't like them. Now I treasure them and wear them all of the time.

Gina said...

So very well put!! I like cameo's and cherubs : )