Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pink Lustreware "Soft Paste" Cup & Saucer

Recently I did a Pink Saturday post on my pink lustreware collection. It is not very big...not in comparison to my LuRay pastels collection as seen here.

It seems as though I can't stay away from pink. But really, if you're reading this blog...then you probably like the color almost as much, if not more, than I do.


While I was shopping for my inventory this past weekend I came across four of these cups and saucers. My eye was drawn to them immediately. Yet they were located near the bottom of an antique dealer's shelf, covered with lots of dust. I decided if I bought all four, I could keep one and sell the other three, thus feeding my addiction further. See how this works?

Unfortunately one of them had a crack in it. But after all these years (these babies are OLD!) it was still in pretty good condition. This is the one I decided to keep. The photo above is one of the other three, without any chips or cracks. They are for sale on my website, Bella Rosa Antiques.


Here is a little information on pink lustre found from an article called "Beginner's Guide to Pink Lustreware" by Danielle L.

Pink lustreware was popular between 1790-1850 . It was manufactured by many pottery factories in England. Swansea and Sunderland potteries were particularly prolific in the making of pink lustreware. Pink lustre is created by adding a solution of metallic copper to a white or cream bodied piece of pottery prior to firing.

I'm excited about adding my tea cup and saucer to my collection. I enjoy reading the history behind the items I find. Now, wouldn't it be even more fascinating to find out where this cup and saucer has been all these years? Who owned it and what was it like in the 1800's?

This is why I love antiques. I hope you enjoyed my post, too.


6 comments:

Lisa said...

They are lovely!
Hugs, Lisa

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Jillian, you have two beautiful blogs! I have just been oohing and aahing over your treasures on this one! I see we have similar tastes and love vintage items! I answered your question on your other blog about joining the Wizard of Oz. If you join, please let us know which blog you would like to have us link to. Thanks! Twyla

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Those are so pretty! I have a lustreware teapot set that belonged to my gram. But, I never seen the pink before.

I use the same reasoning as you when I purchase my vintage fabrics...save a half-yard or so for myself and sell the rest. :)

Kimberly

ItaJeff said...

Lovely!
Happy PS and have a great weekend
♥Ita

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at bellarosaantiques.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from your blog post above if I give a link back to your site?

Thanks,
Daniel

Jacqueline said...

Are the others all sold by now?
Thanks!