Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Let's Talk Vintage #22 : Vintage LuRay Pastels to Usher In Spring


Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!

Today I'm sharing my ultimate spring time favorite:

Lu-Ray Pastels dinnerware

 
When you walk into my kitchen, you are met with a burst of fresh spring color. We removed the front panels of our kitchen cabinets and replaced them with glass.  A perfect way to highlight my 23 year collection of Luray Pastels dinnerware which were made in the late 30's to the early 60's.

I started collecting these old dishes at the ripe old age of 23. If you are really good at math then you've already figured out how old I am!


What made me start the forever hunt for Lu-Ray? I think it was the pink color in the beginning, but then I realized I loved all of the colors together.


Even the plates look great all stacked up!

The basic pieces are easier to find. It's the serving pieces that make me keep collecting. The thrill of the hunt!

And yes, eBay made it too easy... so I actually gave up buying them there.

 
(My Mother always uses the pink teacup
when she is here for a visit. It sits quietly
waiting for her arrival)

I use basic pieces everyday while I save the hard to find, rare pieces for display only. That's not to say I haven't had my share of dish disasters.


The "I can't believe that just happened to my very hard to find pitcher" or the "why did I decide to feed the cat in that berry bowl?"

Smashed. Gone forever but saved for a mosaic project, uh, someday.


And there have actually been some years I thought I should switch it all out and start fresh with something else.

(This is not Lu-Ray but what we call "Go-Alongs.")

But I'm glad I kept them. They cheer me and brighten my kitchen, every day. 

We have a lot of history together, my Lu-Ray and me. This collection has grown with me as I've grown. And you can't find that on any store shelf.  It's what makes collecting vintage, fun.

Now it's your turn!


***********************************
 
 

This week's features from last week's party are:


Debra from Common Ground took an old, too dark picture frame
and brightened it up in this awesome transformation.
 
 
 
and Distressed Donna shared
her Friday Finds... and what she plans
to do with them.


and Joy at A Vintage Green shared
her re-paint transformation
using chalk+ clay paint.

***************

 
Welcome, by the way! If you are new to the
party here's the deal:
 
1. If you love vintage...
2. If you love seeing other people's
    vintage items, projects, ideas....
3. If you have a blog or a selling
    venue online
4. Then link up below, Tuesday mornings at 9!
 
************
Can't wait to see what everyone
brings this week.... ENJOY!





Linking with these great bloggers:
 
Vintage Inspiration Party at My Salvaged Treasures
and What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants.

17 comments:

Diana said...

Thanks so much for hosting, Jillian!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Thank you Jillian for featuring my small changes wooden stool. Your Blu-ray collection is wonderful, seeing so many pieces together is a rare treat. Thank you for Lets Talk Vintage 22. A pleasure to join in.
Joy

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Luray (blue on my mind) Whoops.
Joy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh, I think that you should never part with them. Simply gorgeous! I don't have any, but love, love the beautiful colors. Your collection is breathtaking! Love this weeks features. Happy to be joining this week!
hugs,
Jann

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

I forgot to mention how stunning your collection of LuRay looks!! I have one piece...a yellow platter...
Hugs,
Deb

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Hi! I found your beautiful blog through Creative Country Mom. So excited to be part of your party. Thanks for hosting. Jane

My thrift store addiction said...

Jillian, your cabinets with your pastel collection is just stunning. So funny, I just saw a similar collection at a local antique store! Thanks for hosting, Cecilia

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Thank you my dear for hosting! Always love your party. Jo

Donna Wilkes said...

Jillian, thank you for featuring my Friday Finds. Your button is proudly displayed on my featured page. Love the links this week.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Jillian, so happy to meet you through Diana's feature! Oh my goodness, we share some common threads - our love of beaded purses and dishes and friends (Diana featured me also in Feb).
Your Luray collection is wonderful! As you know, its roots are in my home state of West Virginia, and I occasionally see it at auction and in our antique mall where my sisters and I have booth spaces. If there is something particular you are searching for, let me know and I'll keep my eyes open for you. :)
I'm so happy to have come to your blog, and to join your vintage talk party - thank you for sharing the platform where we can talk about our collections. I love it!
Rita C at Panoply
ps - I'll join your circle of followers through your various venues.

Rue said...

I really should join this party at some point. After all, my love of old is not a secret ;)

I love your collection Lu-Ray!

xo,
rue

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Oh wow, what a gorgeous collection. I love the mix of pretty colors and the way you have them displayed. Don't change them out, they are fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing your collection at Vintage Inspiration Party.

Deanies Stash said...

Your Lu-Ray collection is gorgeous. How could one not be happy when seeing all that beauty! Have a great week!

Tea in the Library said...

Drooling over your LuRay collection. I'm linking up and adding your badge to my site. Thank you for hosting. Looks like a lot of really great posts!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Wow! Your Lu-Ray collection is so beautiful! Love the pastel colours. They all look fabulous together. I would have to keep those out all the time. They're so pretty!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Thanks so much for hosting the party and sharing your gorgeous Lu Ray collection! I agree, it's so much more fun to hunt for the treasure!
Hugs,
Patti

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Your LuRay colletion is just gorgeous! I had never heard of or seen these dishes before. How refreshing to have them displayed in your kitchen!