Friday, May 9, 2008

LuRay Pastels ~ Classic Dinnerware with Popular Appeal



One of my favorite things to write about is LuRay dinnerware. Maybe it is because I personally have been collecting it for the past 16 years. That's a long time to be connected to a set of dishes. But these dishes have what it takes to stand the test of time. They have classic shapes and wonderful colors that just...well, make you FEEL GOOD. I love looking at them through the glass on our kitchen cabinets.



LuRay Pastels were made by a company called Taylor, Smith, & Taylor. They were located in Chester, West Virginia. The line was introduced in 1938 and it was definitely a hit for the company. Women liked the soft colors because they could set a fashionable looking table without the flash of the bright neon in other dinnerware lines of the day. The colors were given these names: Sharon Pink, Surf Green, Windsor Blue, Persian Cream and Chatham Gray. The gray line was not introduced until 1949. Because it was not a popular choice it was discontinued in the 1950's. Collector's today will pay a higher price for it however, because it is more difficult to find.
I have chosen not to collect the gray and have only the four original colors in my display.


(Thank you, these have SOLD)

There are two shapes in the LuRay Pastels line. One is called Empire and the other is Laurel. The difference can be found in the hollow ware vs. the flatware. The hollow ware is all Empire while the flatware was made in the Laurel shape. The two blend nicely together creating a classic line of dinnerware that, in my opinion, has kept its appeal over the generations and probably will for the future.


Check back if you love this dinnerware as much as I do. I'll be posting more pictures, information, and history. And if you are looking to add a few pieces to your collection, I'm selling some of my extras here in the Bella Rosa Antiques shop...like the salt and pepper shakers seen above.

Feel free to leave me a comment about your collection. I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fellow Lu Ray lover checking in! :) I was just at an antique mall and one booth had an old table & chairs set that they'd painted a deep red. They recovered the seats in a beautiful coordinating barkcloth and then the table was set with all PINK Lu Ray! The pink against that dark red was so striking--not a combination you'd naturally think of, but it really worked!

My favorite color is the Surf Green. :)

Karen Sue said...

Jillian, have you ever heard of LuRay creating horses? I have a huge plate signed LuRay that is blue, but the 2 busts of horses are unsigned. They were displayed in my Great-great Aunt's home for many years together with the plate, the exact same blue.


Karen