Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Let's Talk Vintage #52: Vintage Books: Judging Them By The Covers

 
Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!
 
If you found yourself reading this post
then you are probably someone who
loves vintage, decorates in a vintage
style, or perhaps you like to sell
vintage stuff, like I do.
 
Every Tuesday morning I host this
blog linky party to gather bloggers
and sellers together in one place,
to hang out, so to speak,
in blog land. That is a
real place, isn't it?
 
 
 
This week I'm sharing a peek
into my vintage book collection.
 
It is not super huge, but enough that I
needed a decent amount of shelf space
to display them. To me, they are more
than just stories on paper.
 
I see them as individual
pieces of vintage art.
 

 
Luckily, our 1970's Tudor had these
wonderful book shelves so I can
share their beauty with anyone
who comes to visit us.

 
One of my first books was the O. Henry novel,
 Heart of the West. I think it was in my
 Grandmother's things that no one wanted.
It is not very fancy. Plain and Simple.
But it was one of my first.
 
I found many of them in New England.
And plenty of them here,
in good 'ol Pennsylvania.

 
I love the details on the covers,
 as well as what is on the spine.
 
Just look at the gold gilded titles! 
 
 
One year my Father was visiting and he
was compelled to grab one of the U.S. history
books and we  were fascinated
 by what he was reading.
 
 
I've even sold some.
This one was in such good condition,
it almost looked brand new.
 

 
This is not my first time writing
about my love for old books.
I've pinned many of my posts onto
Pinterest so you may see some of my
books floating around on there.
 
Between my LuRay dinnerware
and my old books, I have plenty
to look for when I go antiquing.

But the thrill of the hunt is
always what keeps me going!
 
How about you, what do you collect?
What is your passion when you
go hunting for vintage?



__________________________
 
 
Here are this week's features:
 
shared her Fall front porch.
She's got the vintage bug and I love how
she uses her finds for all
of the seasons!
 
 
 
 
Newcomer, Carmen of Carmen Whitehead
 Designsshared with us how
 she decorated her vintage breakfast nook.
Let's give her a big LTV welcome!
 
 
shared her Paris thrifted finds
with us. It is her favorite city!
And it is always a hit with me,
too! The Hubby and I went to
Paris for our honeymoon.
 
And while we are talking about Paris,
check out Diana of Adirondack
she gave this side table a makeover
with a French theme. Love it!

 


If you've been featured, be sure
to add this graphic to your blog roll!

Thank you all, for linking,
joining, and partying with me
each and every week. You
are all truly blessings to me! 


Now it's your turn:
 
Let's Talk Vintage!






Linking to:
What's It Wednesday

15 comments:

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Thanks so much for featuring my Paris finds Jillian. Love your old book collection. I collect old books too! They are indeed works of art. Thanks for the party!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What beautiful books!! So stunning!!
Thanks for hosting!!

Hugs,
Deb

Victoria said...

Oh, I love old books too! They're one of my biggest weaknesses. I had to stop buying them because I quite literally ran out of space. I hope to have a devoted bookshelf one of these days. Your collection is lovely! They just don't make things like they used to...

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Wonderful books Jillian. Thank you for Lets Talk Vintage 52 - an entire year of parties. Have a great week.

Joanne said...

Gorgeous books!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Jillian, your book collection is gorgeous! The gold titles are so stunning! Thanks so very much for featuring my porch! I loved Carmen's trays! Thanks for the party.
hugs,
Jann

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

What do I collect? Too much!! lol
Your books are just beautiful Jillian. I have a few antique one's too but not as many as you. Nice collection!
Thanks so much for hosting and have a wonderful week.
Gina

Rita C at Panoply said...

Jill, I love the look of old books, but other than miniatures, I've never fallen into that rabbit hole (thank goodness for my ability, small as it may be, to resist not collecting EVERYTHING). The better question for me, then, would be to ask what DON'T I collect! I do love the look of the old leather covers, and marbled paper edges. Thanks for hosting us for all vintage goodness!
Rita

My thrift store addiction said...

Hi Jillian, LOVE your books! Thank you for hosting!

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Beautiful, beautiful books!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your book collection is impressive! Lots of fun features today. Thanks for hosting!

Deanies Stash said...

I love your books. I am attracted to very similar ones with the beautiful covers and spines. I collect way too many things! I especially collect children's hankies and Weller pottery among lots more!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Your books are beautiful! I have to say I never see books like that while I am out picking. I have been collecting vintage pitchers and bread boards. Can't seem to part with any of them yet to sell!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Thanks so much for hosting, I love your vintage book collection!
Hugs,
Patti

Diana said...

Always love your books, Jill :) Thanks so much for hosting!