Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Let's Talk Vintage #35: Fire King Glamalite Coffee Mugs

Hello and welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!

This is where fellow vintage lovers gather together to share our stories, collections, photos, projects, antiques, heirlooms and more.

Today I'm sharing a find that I briefly mentioned last week.... these Fire King Glamalite Mugs.


To let you know the truth, I almost passed these up at the sale where I found them.

I had no idea what they were. I knew by the metal carrier that they were retro / mid century but I didn't know they were Fire King.

The mugs have a vinyl/rubber coating, with glitter, all around them, except for the top. Thus, the manufacturer's stamp on the bottom would not be visible.

Since I sell vintage retro things in my AntiqueRetroactive shop on Etsy, I decided to buy them and see how they would sell.

First, I did a search on Etsy to see if there were any others listed. There were none.


Then I tried eBay. BINGO! Turns out they were Fire King "Glamalite" mugs. They also make tumblers to match.

So, I have them on ebay right now. I hardly ever sell on eBay anymore because of the way the marketplace changed there for antique sellers.

The listing ends tomorrow night. I am curious to see how they do!

When I showed them on Instagram they were an "Insta-Hit!"

I'm even more curious as to why they are such a hit! Maybe it's because I don't drink coffee. Or maybe it is just a rare item, made by Fire King.

*******************************************************************

Now, let's check out this week's LTV Features:




 
Last week, Melissa of Melissa's Antiques
took us along for a ride as she hit the
big highway yard sales. I love
this Clabber Girl sign!

 
And Joy of a Vintage Green
shared this lovely china set.

 
And Deanie of Deanie's Stash
made this cool shelf from a
drawer!
 
 

Now it's your turn: Let's Talk Vintage!
 
 



16 comments:

Melissa said...

FYI the link up needs to be edited... says it's not opening for 6 days. ;)

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hi Jillian, thank you for the feature of my rose dishes. Nice surprise. LOVE your fire king mugs in the carrier. Never ever seen those before. Hope they sell right away. Have a great week.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Thanks so much for the party!!
love those mugs! I have never seen ones like that!!
Hugs,
Deb

Victoria said...

Those mugs are too cute! I think a lot of the 60's kitschy stuff is coming back, I imagine these are probably from that era. I'm finding myself more and more drawn to it, it's so funky and fun! Maybe, if we're lucky, they'll bring back the beehive and Cleopatra eyeliner:)

My thrift store addiction said...

Hi Jillian! I'm a obsessed with Fire King but have never seen those mugs--great find! Thanks for hosting!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Jillian,
Love that Clabber Girl sign, how cool! Thanks so much for hosting and have a great week!
Gina

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Love those mugs! It always seems that the item I almost don't buy is the first one to sell in my shop! I'm sure someone is going to grab those up!

Deanies Stash said...

I thought I knew everything about Fire King. LOL!! I have never seen or heard of these. I wonder if they were something that was done to them in the after market. They aren't in my Fire King book by Gene Florence. They are very cool and it will be great to see how high they go! Thank you so much for featuring my drawer made into shelves!!

Hugs,
Dianne

Marsha said...

Those are cool mugs! I hope they sell well.....I don't drink coffee either. Hope you're enjoying the first week of summer :) and thanks for the reminder that the link party was ready to go!
Yes. And that was a great Clabber Girl sign....gotta love a sign like that.

Diana said...

Love your Fire King mugs, Jill. What a fun find. Hope you make loads of money on them! Thanks so much for hosting your lovely party :)

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Thank you for hosting a wonderful party about vintage loves. Jo

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Oh. I. LOVE. those. Mugs!!!!! I've never seen them either and I love when these come with the original carrier!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Wow! I just looked at the eBay link-- congrats on a great sale!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Wow! Those mugs are awesome! You did well on those. Thanks so much for hosting the party.

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Oh my word!!! I just saw what these sold for. I'da almost passed on them too cause I don't like retro. Looks like I better reconsider.... Do you see Retro stuff than the cottage/older stuff? just curious... Great for you!

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Love the sherbet colors of your mugs. Perfect for enjoying morning coffee out on the patio with a few friends.

Debra