Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Let's Talk Vintage #74: New Jersey's Batsto Village

 
Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!
 
This is where the party is...
if you love old stuff.
 
Today I am sharing our family
trip to New Jersey where we
met up with my Dad. We
usually try to find something
fun to do. A place to explore,
a place where we can learn
something. It's just what we 
like to do, when we visit (who
Bebe calls) "Pop Pop!"
 
 
So, over the weekend we took
Pop Pop to Batsto Village,
which had it's beginnings
around 1766.
 
 
It is a place that takes you back
in time...when you walk through
the village and go into the
restored buildings.
 
Batsto began during an era
of iron ore and glass making.
 
Homes were made for the
people to live in and other
buildings were created:
 
Gristmill
Sawmill
Blacksmith
Wheelwright
 
Batso played a vital role during
times of war...(remember the iron 
making ability.) Cannon balls
and other military items were
supplied to the Continental Army
during the American Revolution.
 
 
The workers of the village were
paid in "Batsto Money."
 
Which could only be used in...
the General store, etc. 

(Photo courtesy of the Batso website)

six days a week. 
 
There was some definite eye candy...
 
 
Lots to see to get a glimpse of what life
was like back then.
 
 
Love these old display cases.
 
 
 
Just look at these awesome bins!
Mirrored fronts!
 
Look at this early mannequin!
 
 


In the center of it all was the
mansion, where the owners lived.
 
It is quite a vision.
Very different from where the
workers lived.
 
 
It was owned by the Richards Family,
then Joseph Wharton,
of Wharton's Business School
of Philadelphia.
 
He added the tall tower
and made some other
changes.

 
 
The entry fee for Batso is free,
as it is owned by the state of NJ,
but specially guided tours of
the mansion were by ticket only.
($3.00 for adults)
 
Unfortunately, I was not
allowed to take pictures.
 

(This is Bebe trying to get a peek before the tour started.
Look how large the windows are.)
 
I was so disappointed because there
were some neat things I would
have LOVED to have shown you.
 
But there was also a walk-thru tour
inside the Visitor's Center.
 
 
That's where we saw several
displays with amazing antiques.
 
 
I was happy to see that I
just like the ones in this case.
The pair above is mine, which
are small, for a child.
 
Since this post is going on
awhile, I'm only going to show
one more thing... part of the
glass making display.
 
 
This "End of Day" glass
chain was so neat!
Where they used the last of 
the glass  on this piece.
 
And that brings me to the end
my fun afternoon at Batsto Village
in New Jersey!
 
Can you tell I like old stuff
and the history behind it? 
 
************** 
 
Now for this week's features:


Brooke of Creative Country Mom
Check out her wreath
project... using vintage lace!


Penny of Penny's Vintage Home
set up an adorable Alice in Wonderland
Tea Party for her Granddaughter.
So sweet!


Kelly at  Homespuns & Hayfields shared a craft room sneak peek.  We all love those! She's off to a great start with these wonderful cabinets.

Wanda of Victorian 1885
shared her spring deck and patio
area of her new home on the island
...in a rain forest! Love the
window on the garden shed.


Dianne of Deanie's Stash made over
this vintage suitcase... if it's
pink then I'll probably feature it!


and Stacey at The Farmhouse
in the Field shared how she 
hand painted this $5 chair.
Her tips and advice were great!

Thanks to all who stopped
by to link up and to those
who follow along each week!
 
 
If you were featured, be sure to grab
this Let's Talk Vintage Graphic
for your blog side bar or for your post.
 
 
Now it's your turn:
 
 


16 comments:

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Jillian, what a wonderful place to visit! Love the General Store, those display cases and that mannequin! The mansion is great too, looks kind of like a lighthouse. Too bad you couldn't take pics though. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us and for hosting!
Gina

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the feature Jillian! I have not spent very much time online this past week, so this made my day! I shared two of my current vintage projects for this weeks party. Sounds like you have been busy enjoying some lovely sites. Thanks for taking us along!

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

What a nice surprise to see my Alice in Wonderland tea party featured this week...thank you! hugs...

Steph said...

Joining your link up for the first time! Thank you for hosting.
Greetings from Germany!
Steph

Sandi Magle said...

Thanks so much for the tour. So love history in any form. And I would easily have chosen the same picks you did for features. Great stuff for this Spring! Thanks for hosting, Sandi

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Wonderful photo visit Jillian. Thank you for hosting Lets Talk Vintage 74. Have a lovely week.
Joy

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a great post!! We used to see the sign for Batso Village on the way down to Atlantic City. I am so sorry now that we never checked it out to see what it was like. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks for hosting!!

Hugs,
Deb

Diana said...

Love the tour of Batso, Jill. That's a new site for me :) Thanks for the party!

Cynthia said...

Hi, Jillian! I love visiting places where you get to "step back in time". I'll have to remember this for the next time we visit the family in New Jersey! Thank you for hosting this party. I think I'm getting a little more comfortable with linking up. Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Hi Jillian, thank you for hosting. I am sure glad you showed your trip, I loved the old dress form! Jo

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

Hi there, thank you so much for featuring my post. What a wonderful surprise!

You have an amazing blog. Thank you for the historical tour, I also have a passion for history and thoroughly enjoyed your post.

Kelly

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Thanks for taking me along on your trip to Batsto NJ and thank you for hosting the party

Victorian1885 said...

Hello Jillian
Thank you for featuring my post last week! It looks like you had a wonderful day at Batsto Village..thank you for sharing it with us.
Have a great rest of the week.
Wanda

Deanies Stash said...

I am honored to have my suitcase as one of the features. Thank you so much! I loved the tour of Batsto. It looks like a wonderful place to visit.

Hope you have a great week.

xo Dianne

Donna Wilkes said...

Some delightful vintage goodies this week. Thank you for hosting and for the historical tour.

My thrift store addiction said...

Ooh what a fun excursion! I'm sharing a road trip today too ;) Thanks for hosting!