Friday, March 11, 2011

Beautiful Shamrocks

(Before I get into today's post I'd like to first take a moment to recognize a devastating earthquake and Tsunami that hit Japan ... our thoughts and prayers go out to the people dealing with this tragedy. May they have strength, courage, and calm and look to God to be with them as help comes in. My heart goes out to them.)

Irish Belleek. Recognizable by its beautiful lustre and delicate quality.




And the shamrocks kind of help. Here is a little information and history about Belleek porcelain.


Pottery in the region began around 1849, after John Caldwell Bloomfield inherited his father's estate. Seeking to provide employment for his tenants, who had been affected by the Irish potato famine and, being an amateur mineralogist, he ordered a geological survey of his land. On finding that the area was rich in minerals, Bloomfield went into partnership with London architect Robert Williams Armstrong and Dublin merchant David McBirney. In setting up a pottery business, Bloomfield managed to get a railway line built to Belleek so that coal could be delivered with which to fire kilns.

Building started on the pottery in 1858. Initially starting with domestic products, it wasn't until 1863 that small amounts of the Parian porcelain for which Belleek is famous for to this day, was successfully produced. By 1865, the prestige of the company had increased enough that its market included Ireland, England, the United States, Canada and Australia, and clients included the Prince of Wales, Queen Victoria and the nobility. (Information from Wikipedia)


And what's a little green without a little pink? Today I'm linking to Pink Saturday... because pink and green go so well together!


The Belleek vase above may be found in my shop ... and I've taken a discount off of it for you this weekend... enjoy! Also, for my Pink Saturday readers... 20% off of anything pink or green or a combination of both! (Just contact me and I'll set up the sale for you.)






11 comments:

Ms.Daisy said...

Jillian,
I didn't know that parian was Baleek also. I have two pieces of parian and now I can look them up under Baleek! Thanks!


Love,
Ms.Daisymau

Lynn said...

Such a beautiful vase-enjoy:@)

Donnie said...

It just distresses me to even turn on the news. The scenes are so devastating. My prayers go out to them.

That was a pretty vase you shared. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Belleek is my favorite which I shared today ... but oh, to own another piece of the black label Belleek.

May God protect all in this horrible disaster.

Happy St. Patrick's Day ~
Have a beautiful weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

CSN GIVEAWAY ENDS 3/17

Manni said...

Thanks for sharing the Belleek history!! the vase is very pretty!!

My thought and prayers are with the people in Japan and anyone around the world who may have friends and family there. Its been a very sad day today and hope that they will all pull thru.
hugs
Manni

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pink Saturday Jillian...
Yes sweetie, my prayers and thoughts are going out to Japan and around the world to anyone who has family or friends there. So much devastation. It has been a very stressful day.

A beautiful share of your Belleek. I did not know the history so I am always happy to learn a little something new. Thank you for sharing with me. How pretty the little vase is with the shamrocks dangling. I love it.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend sweetie. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Kathy said...

Love Beleek! It is so beautiful. Love your piece!
Happy Pink/Green Saturday,
Kathy

Laura Quaglia (Fun With This and That) said...

The irish china is so pretty and soft. Have a safe and fun day Laura

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a beautiful vase! Belleek is always so very pretty!!

Hugs,
Debbie

LV said...

A very nice piece. I always enjoy learning the history of certain things. Nice job.

Deanna said...

I am so thrilled that quite a few PS ladies have had Belleek. I had never seen it before. I now fancy it ..covet it...want it...lol!

Happy Pink Saturday
Deanna :D