Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Little Bit Irish


Yep. I'm a little bit Irish. And a little bit of a lot of other things. But since I have red hair (which is actually from the Scottish side) I like to don my green colors for the fun of it.


It is also my kitty's "birthday."

Meet Minnie. She was the only tabby out of all black kittens. She was also the only lively one of the litter. I picked her to come home with me about fifteen years ago while I was living in America's Heartland. I like to refer to her as my "Missouri Cat."


Here she was as a wee kitten. It is such a short time that they are this cute...but Minnie has all kinds of interesting quirks that make her special. She is also very smart. How do cats get so smart?

Anyway, a Happy St. Patrick's Day to ya! I'm not going to do any history pieces in this post. It is just going to be fun. So, I found an Irish Soda Bread recipe to share... not that I've actually made it or anything. Maybe I should try it! That and have Irish stew.


ENJOY!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine

1 slightly beaten egg

1 1/4 cups raisins

3 cups flour

2/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In medium bowl, combine buttermilk, melted butter, egg, and raisins.
Set aside.
In large bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix to combine.
Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Spoon into greased loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes.
Leave in pan for 1 minute.
Remove to wire rack to cool.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy St. Pat's Jillian. Your kitty is so pretty and sweet. I love how smart cats are and their 'tude. We have a rescue cat (Riley) and he is so sweet. We adore him. He's not Irish, though. LOL
Roselle

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

I know you look beautiful in green Jillian! Emerald green is so lovely with red hair.
Hope you are enjoying this day!
Tammy

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Beautiful post card. I didn't blog about St. Patrick's day or green or anything like that today. But then I forgot my birthday was coming up and scheduled myself to work on it... Thinking my brain is failing!

dana said...

Happy Birthday to beautiful Minnie! She looks so much my little Twiggy! L, Dana