Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Big Dining Room Reveal: The Impossible Metamorphasis!

It is finally here! My big dining room reveal.
Joining with Thistlewood Farm to share my reveal.
Doing the impossible is the theme!
What seemed like impossible became well, a real vision.
Big thanks go out to my Sweet Hubs.
He did a lot of work on trim, crown molding and three different paint colors.
We used Behr from Home Depot.

Without further ado we have the before:


Quite cluttered  and not very well thought out.(This is how it looked right after Christmas)
We had moved in almost six years ago and when the furniture was delivered we weren't ready for it nor had we painted yet.

Then time flew by and the next thing you know, I'm pregnant and the dining room took a back seat.

Well, more than a back seat...it ended up in a remote location in Siberia because that is how impossible it seemed that we were ever going to tackle it.

Then out of the blue, hubby was inspired and decided RIGHT AFTER CHRISTMAS, he was going to get it done.

So, not wanting to wait any longer, I said "OKAY, Yes!!!!"

And now drum roll please......

Are you ready? Are you ready?

Here it is:

 We went with a brown color from Behr called "Soft Chamois" and added a chair rail.

We moved the china cabinet to the other side of the room which was questionable since the wall was so much smaller. I just had to try it out because it felt like the cabinet overwhelmed the room  before.
I was so pleased when it seemed to fit "just right" here!

 I'm still working on adding in some deep reds. Like for the curtains and maybe here in the table runner. More to follow in the near future!

 Love the detail on the chair rail.


 Sissy cat wanted to share in on the big reveal today too!
 The ceiling is painted a lighter taupe to offset the crown molding.
We haven't decided on a new chandelier just yet.
I'm still mulling it over.

After shopping in several stores for a new mirror, I ended up using my own mirror from the living room.

 Just look at the faux wainscoting hubby created! It was a lot of cutting, painting, and arranging.
These are not full panels that you just nail on....he had to create the look piece by piece.


 This is the view from the windows.

My china cabinet was full of figurines, mismatched plates, etc.
I decided to start editing out pieces to create a more "cohesive look."
China plates, goblets, and crystal were staying.

I have my eye on a corner curio for my figurines and special pieces.

I'm really happy with the new cohesive look now!
It felt really good to clean out and streamline.
(There is a cheetah figurine still sitting there, I decided he could stay since he fit the color scheme.)

From Kohl's, mahogany wood frames filled with black and white photos of a teapot...
and a teacup from my shop.

So, there you have it.
I really enjoy being in here now!

I hope you enjoyed my reveal.
It really was a big deal for us to accomplish this.
I'm usually too busy taking care of Bebe or running my website to stop and work on my house. It felt good to get it done!

Check out the other projects and impossibilities over at this really amazing blog Thistlewood Farm and her partner blogs!
I'm off to hang out in my new dining room.

Also linking with Metamorphasis Monday.
I'm so excited I actually have a project like this so I can join the party!
(Update: I can't seem to find today's post on Between Naps on a Porch for MM?
Not sure what happened to her linky party today.
I'll try again later...)

20 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Just stunning! Is the black and white photography yours?

Richard Cottrell said...

The work is beautiful below the chair rail and adds so much depth to your room. Looks great. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Your husband did a terrific job. The chair rail and panels make the room. You should be so pleased!

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Hello,

Wow! It looks very elegant! Congrats!


Gabriela

Lisa said...

Well done!! I like it. I know you are happy. Now you need to have a dinner party to use it!
Hugs, Lisa

MJ said...

Spectacular! You did a fantastic job! It is amazing what paint and ingenuity can create! You will enjoy dining there for years!

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Great job! Love the paint color and the wainscoting. It looks so fresh and neat. Very pretty!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Your dining room is INCREDIBLE! I mean where to begin! The color on the walls....the chair rail.....the molding! Well done! Be sure to link up to the party tomorrow morning! Party starts at 7am EST!

blessings,
karianne

Beverly said...

Jillian, the two of you are a dynamic duo. Your dining room is fabulous. I love everything about it!♥

Eclectically Vintage said...

What a difference - even Sissy seems content there! And you know how picky cats are!! Love the chair rail and molding and that you moved the mirror from another room instead of buying a new one. You need to have a big dinner party to celebrate! So glad you joined our challenge.
Kelly

Fat Dormouse said...

What a beautiful, elegant dining room you now have. Much applause to you and to your husband for creating such a beautiful room. Congratulations!

Linda @ It All Started with Paint said...

So beautiful! Please pass along a huge "job well done" to your amazingly talented husband! Love the colors. Love the molding. Love the china cabinet placement ...

Thanks for joining our impossibilities party!

Linda

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Such a beautiful upgrade! I love the brown paint color, and the detail in the chair rail. How great is that framed tea cup pic, perfect for a dining room!

Thank you so much for joining the challenge!
Karah

~CC Catherine said...

Jillian, I love the new transformation of your dining room. I love the Chamois color of the room, and the lighter Taupe color on the ceiling...it all has such a clean and crisp look. LOVE IT.

It's amazing how much larger the room appears too.

I too am contemplating doing the exact same thing in my own dining room.

The half wall underneath my chair rail needs the wains coating like your husband creatively mastered. I'd like to actually do a Chaulk paint finish to distress my dining room suit in a vintage ivory/white. My room is in a really light light yellow, called Creme Brulee. I love the color, but it just needs more white in the room with it. The curtains are dark and I'd like to add wispy white ones that I recently got for my office.

It's amazing, as my own hutch needs decluttered as well - I have way too much in it and need to do exactly what you've done here.

Much to think about - and maybe by NEXT year... (lol), I can be where you're at!

I do love your chandelier, maybe you could consider getting little fabric covered shades to tie into your color/theme. That would be a nice added touch, but could save you the expense of getting an entire new chandie. Plus, you could interchange the covered shades a few times a year to change it up. ;)

Ciao for now...
~CC

Unknown said...

Stunning! It looks fabulous! I'm so proud of YOU! <3 from your newest follower and fellow {new} blogger :) Please check out my impossibility and follow back!

~Misty
www.413sparrowlane.com

RHome410 said...

VERY elegant! I love the color and now think my dining room needs wainscoting!

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

what a super transformation! I love the wall color and all the wall detail/trim work. I bet you will eat plenty of dinners in there now! Enjoy!

Grandma Linda's Daydreams said...

The dining room looks lovely, and I actually like the existing chandelier, especially because you have so much other crystal.
It looks very elegant! You did a great job! (from a painter)
Enjoy! Put on a little dinner party!
Prayers for your mother, that she'll be well soon!
Blessings!

dana said...

Oooooh my that dining room looks sensational!! You "done good"....reallllllll good!

L, Dana