Wednesday, April 6, 2011

UnDeCoRaTiNg?


Each week I receive an "e-newsletter" from Kovels Antiques. This week something caught my attention... something called "Undecorating."

The "undecorating style" has arrived just in time for collectors who have always known that casual combinations of wonderful things create a room that is comfortable, interesting, and tells a lot about the owner. "Perfectly matched" is out. "Expensive" when "cheap" is available is out. Even an unmade bed is OK. The rules are: be clever, use your own guidelines, and watch what you spend since lavish is now considered poor taste. "Undecorate: The No Rules Approach to Interior Design," by Christine Lemieux, is a new book on the style. And once a style is named, it is "official." (from a March 20 article in The Wall Street Journal)


While I find this style of decorating just might fit the bill for just about ANYONE...aren't we all creating comfortable rooms? Comfy is nice but I still would like it to look decorated. I'm not sure UNdecorated it is the look I would go for.

I dunno. Maybe its the name I don't like. Well, the jury is out for me. Maybe I'd have to see the rest of the book. What do you think? I suppose it would work well for someone who sells vintage, like me!


6 comments:

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Hmmmm, I just may need to check this book out!!! I think my style fits this description, undecorated! I mixed all sorts of styles, things I like and can afford.

xxoo

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

I'm with you - not crazy about the term. But definitely I like to repurpose and use older rather than newer things, mismatched, non pricey, etc. Been doing that all along - as have other vintage lovers. Guess we should have written our own books long ago!

MJ said...

I've been undecorating all this time & didn't know it? I'm always so behind on the trends! I gave up on having a matchy-matchy house a long time ago & espec. after having kids. Now I have a word for it! Thx!

Ms.Daisy said...

Jillian,
I had never heard that term before but I will be looking for it in the magazines I see. Thanks for th info.


Love,
Ms.Daisymau

Anonymous said...

I like the "decorated" look....just not contrived. And I still have to make the bed, not just throw the cover up. :)

karenb said...

hmmm...interesting. I think I would like one room like the one in the picture-of all my favorite things. And...I don't consider an unmade bed "decoration"...just sloppy! :)