Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mother of Pearl Buttons - Shell Shocking History

Recently I came across an awesome post with some
great information about mother of pearl buttons.
I have to admit, I never knew where they came from!

It was Faye from Wild Rose Vintage who brought
 it all into perspective for me.

She wrote about mother of pearl button making here.

I asked if I could share some of her photos, etc.


It all started when she and her hubby
 came across these shells
with the holes in them.

I probably would have just said
"Oh look, there are holes in them thar shells!"

But alas, they had a real purpose for being well, holey.



She even did research on an old button factory
in her area (I think near the Mississippi)
that did the same kind of thing
back in the day.

Of course, her post and info is much better
than mine here.

I encourage you to check out her details!

 
Here is an example of what the factory did.

And voila....real mother of pearl buttons from
real shells!

Who knew?


I am definitely looking at MOP buttons (andshells )
with a different perspective and appreciation now.

Thank you Faye!

2 comments:

Faye said...

Hi Jillian, I think you did a better post than I did! It surprised me too when he showed me the holey shells, I had never really given it much thought either. Thank you so much!
Faye

Melissa/Piney Rose said...

Oh my gosh, Jill - I did not know that! This is facinating to me. I have always loved MOP buttons, and have a bunch of them. Now I appreciate them so much more.