Monday, February 6, 2012

When is an Antique Not An Antique? (And a thank you!)

When is an antique, not an antique?
When it is clearly a reproduction.
This past weekend Hubby and I were shopping in Kirkland's...still hoping for some inspiration for the dining room. Either "Just the right mirror" or curtains.
 I had to giggle when I saw these faux antique cameras, typewriter, and iron work pieces. They were cute but why not just use the real thing?
 Here are more examples I found. How about the gears wall art?
Kinda cool, actually!
But this was my most favorite find of all! A small "mason" jar perched a top a pressed glass candlestick holder. Place three side by side and put your favorite candies inside for a cute display in the kitchen or movie room.

I see this as an EASY PEASY craft project for some of you...I've seen the candlesticks in every thrift store this side of the Mason Dixon line (no pun intended) and well, new Mason jars are available at the grocery store if you don't feel like hunting down an antique! If you make one, I'd love to see it.

While we did not find any mirrors that we liked... we did buy curtains at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
I'm deciding between two different panels. How many of you do the same thing? The woman at the check out said she sees a lot of people use this method...buy a few different choices knowing you are going to return the one that didn't make the cut!

_____________________________________________

A BIG THANK YOU

Thanks to all of you who left such wonderful, supportive and kind comments on the blog last week when we took my Mother in for surgery. She did really well and the doctor was amazing.
She has another surgery in a week but we are taking one day at a time.
Your prayers, love, and support were MUCH MUCH appreciated!
I thank you from the bottom of my heart!


7 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Jillian, I have a lot of friends that buy multiples to bring home and try, I hate the hassle of returning stuff so usually just make a decision....Not always right though so i end up going back anyway LOL! Yes, my dress form party does not start until tomorrow and goes all week, so link up any time, I would love to have you, it is my first linky party ...I hope people show up!!

Carol

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Cute idea wit the Mason Jar! Hope you Mom continues to heal ad that her second surgery goes well too.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

I do not like those faux cameras, etc either. Give me the real deal! I always buy multiple things like that when trying to make a big decision. One time I ordered about 8 pair of curtains online b/c so many times they are not true to color, etc. Best way to make a decision.
Sorry to hear about your mom but I'm glad she made it through the surgery fine. She will be in my prayers.
Hugs,
Tammy

Passionate for White said...

I saw those mason jars on the candlestick at The Bass Pro Shop and they were labeled "Red Neck Wine Glasses" :)

MJ said...

I'm so glad to read that your Mom is doing well. Am keeping you in my thoughts for the next week too.

I'm an indecisive shopper who need to see colours in their home environments (where the lighting changes at various times of day). I purchase the various colours that I think I might want & am standing in line to return. It's the only hope I have in being satisfied with a purchase!

Anonymous said...

To be sure - the real deal every time - as affordable, of course. Got a few great deals at the Wheaton's show this past weekend. Thought of you - some good deals for Bella Rosa had you been there . . .

Blessings to your family and good to hear mom is doing well. Keeping her close in thought . . .
Joy!
Kathy

thistlewoodfarm said...

Jillian....I was just checking in....and I am sooooo glad to hear your mother is doing well! BTW....I would love to feature your dining room tomorrow for our features for the impossibility challenge. Can you e-mail me and let me know if this is okay with you?

blessings,
karianne