Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Let's Talk Vintage #100: The Old Gal and Her Makeover




Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!

I'm so excited because today is my 100th LTV post!

If you're here then you are as excited about vintage stuff as I am. Feel free to join in and link up at the bottom of this post about something vintage you are working on... that you saw in a shop, a collection you have... etc.

Each week I post pictures of the furniture we've given a make-over... today I'm going to show a little bit of what something looked like BEFORE we gave it some major TLC.
I finally stopped what I was doing to take pictures!

 
Here is the dresser my hubby found at a local
used furniture place.
 
 
It had this matching high boy dresser
that went along with it, so he bought both.
 
Since the other style sells better, we decided to work on it first, and I had already started taking the drawers out when I realized I should be taking a picture of it.

 
Now, as you can see, this pair was
already "made over" back
in the day when little heart
stencils were such a big thing.
And now?
Ahhhh, not so much anymore.

But I have to say it was so well done!
It looked very cottage and sweet...
 
I thought maybe just
roughing it up a bit and giving it some
shabbiness would do the trick.
 
But I listened to the other thought ... the idea of how
this old gal could turn into something so beautiful.
 
 
Even despite the age
(These dressers are old!)
and a huge gouge across
the front corner, we could
see their huge potential.
 
The gouge must have happened in
the process of moving around for
pick-up because it wasn't
there before we bought it.
 
But, with major sanding, two double coats
(and then some) of Parisian chalk paint...


Look at her now!
 
A beauty!

My hubby finished up the finer details....
I suggested we get a paint pen and get inside those
thin, tight little lines.
 
 
(It even has a pretty mirror to go with it.)
 
It is one of my favorite pieces we've done so far.
The paint pens are amazing! The fine point,
not so much. It dried out or ran out only
half way through the very tiny, fine lines.
 
 And...

Since I haven't shared my vintage
finds in awhile... this is some of
what I found recently at our
local flea markets and sales:

 
An old chair, wire basket, a pulley
wheel, and an outhouse sign!
Not sure why I liked it so much, but
I did!
 


Some old books I found by digging
through a box
 
 
...turned out
to be treasures.
 
I was told by the dealer that
they came upon a whole room
of books, shelf after shelf.
 

(This is her inscription inside an Edgar Allen Poe book.)
 
It was a collection by a
woman named Edna. She
loved books. I'm happy to have
found a few of them... I love
old books, too!
 

I think this hand crafted multi drawer cabinet is super cool,
especially for maybe a scrapbook or paper craft person?

Would you believe it was made by a local man who wanted a place to store his butterfly collection! Oh yes.

Luckily, there were no butterflies in it when we received it!

 
Now for this week's features:


Penny of Penny's Vintage Home
shared a fall decorating
 project with us...

 
Ever try glamping?
Joyce of Quilted Nest makes
it look like a lot of fun...
 
 
 
 

And speaking of fun,
the two sisters of the Lolly Jane blog,
Kelli and Kristi, created a wonderful
play house out of an old shed!
You've gotta see it to believe it.
Lots of eye candy!

Thank you all for taking part
in my 100 LTV parties!

 You all have
made it so inspiring!

 
If you were featured, feel free to
use this "MBWF" graphic in your
post or blog side bar.
 
Now it's your turn...
Let's Talk Vintage!

9 comments:

Daniela said...

Sweetest Bella Rose,
congratulation on your milestone, this link-up party is so joyful and amazing to me !

Hope your week is off to a good start I'm sending my dearets hugs on your days to come, thank you for hosting

Xx Daniela

Cynthia said...

I LOVE how the dresser turned out! The color combination is very pretty, I'm sure it sold quickly. Thank you, Jillian for hosting this party. I've been away from blogging for a bit, so I'm glad to be linking up here today.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Fantastic pieces!! I so would love to go to your shop...Thanks for hosting!!

Hugs,
Deb

Diana said...

Thanks for the party Jill! Your dresser is absolutely beautiful--nice work :)

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

you guys and your furniture! You have got it going on! Love that dresser make over. Great colors! Will be interesting to see how the high boy does for you... I found a buffet for you 'free' near our cottage. But it had many cracked and glued areas that didn't look good. Woulda painted up lovely - had great lines - but not a great 'to sell' piece. And sadly - just too big for me in my home. So it stayed put. Was hard!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

That dresser is phenomenal! I had to scroll back up to make sure it was the same one! Love your finds. I would have grabbed the Outhouse sign too. I have a red and white Exit sign I found and it is on my porch. No explanation for why I had to have it! So sorry for the double post. Every time I post here I get an error message. Then when I go back to your blog it has posted, this time twice! I see the one before me posted 3 times! Hmmmm.....

Deanies Stash said...

Jillian, you have the most amazing transformations of furniture. I have loved them all. Also some great finds. Thank you for hosting!

xo Dianne

My thrift store addiction said...

Thanks for hosting, Jillian!

Summer said...

The dresser is a real beauty ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com