Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Let's Talk Vintage! #99: Reviving the Old, Making it New Again


Hello and welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!
 

 
This is where bloggers and sellers gather on
the net to be inspired or to learn a new technique;
whether it is working on a vintage piece, or to
get it ready to sell in a shop.
 
We also like to "Oooh" and "Ahhhh"
over another blogger's finds.
Keeps us motivated to find more
good stuff!
 

Yesterday I was at our local Labor Day
flea-market and overheard one of the
dealers tell another dealer how
he found a civil war diary and how
well he did with selling it. Then the other
dealer remarked: "Yeah it's the one
really good one that keeps us going!"
 
 
But, some of us just love creating.
I didn't realize how much fun
it would be to re-do furniture.
 
So this week I am working on
pieces for my brick and
mortar shop, Vintage & Co.

 

And so is my hubby. He took this
ornate stand and created something
really neat with it!
It previously had some sort of
second tier, smaller in size, on it.
Like maybe it had come from a
church or it had been a phone stand.
 
It was damaged, of course!
 
 
Anyway, it all had to be re-worked.
Wood filler, wood glue, the works.
 
He used black chalk paint, distressed the
top, and added a stencil to help hide flaws.
 
It really turned out well.
 
I put it up on Facebook and the Vintage
 and Co. website... it sold right away!
 
This is the piece I worked on and brought in.
 
 
It was fairly easy to do
and I love how it has a lower
shelf and a drawer.
 
We tried a darker wax on the
drawer and it doesn't show up
here in the photo, but it turned
out great.
 
A wonderful entryway, hallway,
or love seat size sofa table.
 
********
Gotta love the broken down,
worn out furniture... giving
it a new life is so rewarding,
don't you think?
 
I can't help but draw a parallel
between what we do with furniture
and what God did for us by
sending is Son to give us new
life as well. Every time I say
I'm bringing a piece of furniture
back to life I can't help but
think about it.
 
It rings so true.
 
I'm thinking about making a
special tag to place on the
furniture to explain the
"getting rid of the old"
and "bringing out the new."
 
I'll keep you posted on this
new idea!
 
Now for this week's features:
 
 
 
found this really awesome
trophy cup that someone
had made into a lamp ...
She transformed it back again!
 
 
and Tarah of GrandmasHouseDIY
shared another similar type of 
transformation... see what she
referred to as "the beast"
that she found in her
Grandmother's old farmhouse.
 
 
shared her rusty finds... see how
she uses them in her garden!
 
 
If you were featured, feel free to use this
MBWF graphic on your side bar or
in your blog post.
 
 
Linking with:
 
@Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson. 
@How Sweet the Sound
 
Now it's your turn.
Let's Talk Vintage!
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

Pat @ bringingfrenchcountryhome said...

Thanks for the feature on my rusty finds Jillian. Always very much appreciated. Your shop looks fantastic. Wish I could come shopping.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Thanks so much for hosting each week!
You have restored and recreated some amazingly beautiful pieces!! Stunning!
Hugs,
Debbie

My thrift store addiction said...

Thanks for the party, Jillian!

Deanies Stash said...

Jillian, I just love what you and your husband do to the furniture! It always looks so nice. I also liked your parallel with what God does for us. Thank you for hosting and for what you write.

xo Dianne

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

You guys are amazing w/ the way you're knocking out furniture... and do all those extras to it w/ seemingly no effort! I'm in awe! :) And you're selling like hot cakes! Proud. of you. (I could not do it!) Was wondering if you did the Labor Day sale... I haven't been there in years :(

Dana of The Stone Rabbit said...

HPS!!

I am a lover of redoing furniture that's past the point of a simple sand and stain. I personally love black furniture.....and have several pieces. One is an old fireplace surround to which I had a base added and had it painted a distressed black. It's in the entry of our house and I LOVE to decorate it seasonally. One of my favorite finds was an old wardrobe. It was really a mess. I spent a lot of money and had it stabilized, new shelved made for the inside, a crown made for the top (it had one in it's early life)...then I had it painted black. We have big wall in our dining room for it. It holds my Christmas dishes and other sets....plus lots of special collections of glasses. It was the best investment I ever made. :)

Have a great weekend!! L, dana

Art and Sand said...

I love your furniture transformations.

Thanks for sharing with SYC.