Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Let's Talk Vintage #88: Seaside Serenade with Ogden Nash

Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!

This is where you can share your vintage inspired projects, latest finds, collections, treasures, and more.

My recent trip to the Jersey Shore made me remember I had saved a poem from a book by Ogden Nash last winter, as it was selling on Etsy.


Thought it was too cute not to share and knew I would be doing posts about the beach:


Seaside Serenade
 
It begins when you smell a funny smell,
And it isn't vanilla or caramel,
And it isn't forget-me-nots or lilies,
Or new-mown hay, or daffy-down-dillies,
And it's not what the barber rubs on Father,
And it's awful, and yet you like it rather.
No, it's not what the barber rubs on Daddy,
It's more like an elderly finnan haddie,
Or, shall we say, an electric fan
Blowing over a sardine can.
It smells of seaweed, it smells of clams,
It's as fishy as first-night telegrams,
It's as fishy as millions of fishy fishes,
In spite of which you find it delishes,
You could do with a second helping, please,
And that my dears, is the ocean breeze.
And pretty soon you observe a pack
Of people reclining upon their back.

(Page 16 from Selected Verse of Ogden Nash)


The book isn't mine anymore, but I can still enjoy this humorous little snippet!

And what's a memory about being Oceanside without a few vintage trinkets:

 
A fancy Atlantic City fan on a hot summer's day...

 
These souvenir plates are fun... especially when
arranged in a grouping on the wall.
 

 
Wondering what it was like the day this

 
I think this James Salt Water Taffy box is my favorite!




Now let's see who is featured this week:



Rita from Panopoly shared her latest antique booth update... and this wonderful treasure trove of Jadeite!



and Penny of Penny's Vintage Home showed us her patriotic décor for her family gathering. I am a sucker for all things red, white, and blue this time of the year...


and check this out... Heidi, of My Sweet Cottage took an old beat up cookie tray and transformed it into this cool tropical serving piece. Awesome!

 
If you were featured, feel free to
take this LTV blog feature graphic
 and place it on your blog!





9 comments:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

The poem is so cute!! Thanks so much for hosting each week!!

Hugs,
Deb

Rita C at Panoply said...

I'd say Nash nailed the description of the sea breeze very well! Thanks so much for the shout out on my recent jadeite score, Jill. I love what Heidi did with that cookie sheet! Have a great week, and I hope things are going great guns at your store front.
Rita C at Panoply

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

Thank you so much for featuring my red white and blue post! Have a blessed week....hugs..

Lauren at Wonderfully Made said...

Gosh I love these! I think I had one of those fans from Atlantic City and that taffy box----LOVE! Will keep an eye on that one until pay day haha!!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Jillian, Atlantic City is so historic and I have just go to go there someday! Loved your souvies and the box is my fave too! Cute poem!
Thanks so much for hosting and have a great day!
Gina

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hi Jillian, thanks for sharing a bit of your holiday as well as Lets Talk Vintage.
Joy

Debra said...

What lovely features. I enjoyed the "souvenirs". I hope you had a great vacation.

Heidi | Mysweetcottage.com said...

Jillian, thanks so much for hosting - and for featuring my cookie tray transformation!

Bernideen said...

I came back but can't find the linky.