Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Let's Talk Vintage #87: The Old Fashioned Feel of Ocean City, NJ


Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!
 

My apologies for being late to my own party...
Between the store and dashing off for quick
mini-vacations, I lost track of the weekdays.
 
 
Today I'm sharing my favorite ocean side
 
Generations have been coming here for
 relaxation, entertainment, and worship.
 
 
It was founded in 1879 by four ministers..who
chose the island as a suitable spot to establish a Christian retreat and camp meeting, on the order of Ocean Grove. They met under a tall cedar tree which stands today at 6th Street and Asbury Avenue. Having chosen the name “Ocean City”, the founders incorporated the “Ocean City Association”, laid out streets and sold lots for cottages, hotels and businesses. The Tabernacle was built between Wesley and Asbury Avenues and between 5th and 6th Streets. Camp Meetings were held by the following summer.
 
There are still youth groups, church meetings
and plenty of churches in town. It is also
 a dry town. No alcohol is served or sold there.
Families from all over the Southern NJ and 
Philadelphia area  have flocked here because
it still has that old fashioned feel.
 
 
Each year I go to see the ocean
waves crashing in and out...
feel the sand in my toes and breathe
in the ocean air. I've been going
there since I was a child.
 
(Here Bebe is showing me her latest treasure.) 
 
There is nothing quite like it. And now Bebe
gets to come here and start her own memories.
 
 
There is also nothing quite
like the Ocean City boardwalk. How
many times have I walked along the
boards that parallel the Atlantic Ocean?
 
 
Some of my favorite old shops are there.
 
 
We still love watching them make salt water taffy
at the back of the store... a sign to the right
explains how old the machines are.
 
 
... The dolls that flip in the front window,
attract passersby to stop and take
a gander... most likely they'll make a decision  
to go in and check it out. This little pair
has probably sold more taffy than
they ever imagined. Hmmmm. Maybe
I need to come up with something like
 
Here are this week's features:
 
 
shared her vintage finds and
styled the photos so nicely for
the kick off to summer!
 
 
Newcomer Christine of Christine's Home
her beautiful "Provence" themed
tablescape. Such beautiful
treasures to behold!
 
 
and Bernideen of Bernideen's Teatime
Cottage and Garden shared her new
vintage find... a smoking cabinet.
It looks absolutely charming and
pretty in pink now. An old thing
of the past, made new again!
 
 

  If you were featured, be sure to add this LTV button
to your blog side roll or your LTV posts!
 
 
 

11 comments:

xinex said...

Thank you so much for the feature, Jillian! I am so honored....Christine

Rita C at Panoply said...

Jill, Ocean City NJ looks like a nice place to be. Of course, anywhere near the water is a nice place to be, right? Christine's place looks really inviting, and I look forward to making her acquaintance. Thanks for the intro to her, and thanks for hosting us. It's been a long time since I've done a vintage update!
Rita C at Panoply

Julie said...

What sweet memories you have of Ocean City, and it's nice that you can share them with your family now, too. Thanks for hosting a great party!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Jill, Thank you for the feature and hosting such a lovely party. Your mini vaca to Ocean City looks like fun. I am dying to go to the beach. Maybe soon. sb

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I will have to put Ocean City on my places to visit. We have been to Cape May but didn't get much water time! Thanks for the party!

My thrift store addiction said...

Thanks for the party, Jillian!

Lauren at Wonderfully Made said...

I went there several times as a child--I still remember it! A magical place.

Daniela said...

Thanks for hosting this wonderful party, sweet Bella Rose, and thank you for the amazing features, furthermore !

Hope your week is off to a great start I wish you all my best for your coming days,
with my dearest love and thankfulness

Daniela at - My little old world -

Curtains in My Tree said...


Sorry all my teapots are sitting there. It wouldn't take my picture in linky so I guess I kept hitting enter ? hahah

I love going to any beach however that beach sounds pretty special

thanks for the party

Janice

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Jillian, oh what a dreamy place! I had read about Ocean City from my Victorian magazines and thought I would like to go there some day but have not yet. Maybe still someday. Thanks for sharing it with us.
gina

Bernideen said...

Dear Jillian:
Thanks so much for featuring my smoking stand. I am honored. What a lovely place to visit.