Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Let's Talk Vintage #47: Family Heritage One Click at a Time




Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage! This is a weekly link party which begins every Tuesday morning at 9 am.

If you find yourself hunting down treasures at fleamarkets, estate sales and thrift shops, then this is the place for you!

If you have a blog or shop, feel free to link up...we'd love to see what you are sharing!

Here are some basic guidelines:
* If you are sharing a blog post, please provide a back link  to this post on my blog.
* Make sure it is vintage in some way.
* Visit other partiers and have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
This week I am sharing some of my
heritage... using old photos,
snapshots that preserved family
history, one click at a time.

 
This is my Great Grandfather out in
front of this Brooklyn fire truck.
He worked for the fire company,
and had three sons.
(My paternal Great Grandmother, Mary)
 
and after my
Great Grandmother died in 1919,
he remarried another lovely lady
who became (what we all knew as)
 my Great Grandmom.
 

 
She willingly took on three young boys.
Her story inspired me to become
a step-mom to three teenagers when
I married my Dear Hubs.
 



 
Her name was Minnie.
My Great Grandfather is on the right 
and a family friend is on the left.
They were visiting the boardwalk.
 
My Great Grandfather felt that
Brooklyn was not a great
place for his three boys
and their new life, so he
moved to South Jersey.
 
It's where the rest of my heritage
takes place...
 (My paternal Grandmother and Grandfather)
 
If he hadn't moved to NJ,
my Grandparents wouldn't have met,
my Dad wouldn't have met my Mother,
and on and on it goes.
 
Amazing how choices of one affects
the rest of the heritage.
 
 
I didn't realize how much
I liked history until my Dad
and I started doing Genealogy
in the year 2000. I love digging
in to old records and finding
clues to what came before me.
 
 I have
not been doing too much
research since Bebe was
born but I will have
some time this year to start
again. What about you,
who is the family history keeper
in your clan? There is usually
someone who takes the task on.
 
(The downtown avenue in my hometown in NJ)
 
Thanks so much for taking
the time to read a snippet
of my family's story.
_____________
 
Here are this week's features:

Diana of Adirondack Girl at Heart
shared her latest vintage finds.
I just love her knack for photography and
the info she shares on the pieces she finds.


Audrey of Timeless Treasures
shared this amazing galvanized
metal bin she calls "the eggs to
market tray." I love how she
used it in a new way!


Roselle of Seaside Rose Creations
shared her mantel décor using white
frames for a beach cottage theme.


and Joanne of Sea Glass Cottage
shared her top ten features
of her vintage beach home.
So glad she stopped by
and joined the party... let's
give her a hearty "LTV" welcome!

 
 
Now it's your turn:
Let's Talk Vintage!
 
 


Linking to:
What's It Wednesday
Pink Saturday

17 comments:

Joanne said...

So honored to be a part of Let's Talk Vintage and your lovely blog! Thank you so much.
Joanne @ Sea Glass Cottage

Unknown said...

I was recently gifted with the family Bible from my husband's family. It has been so fun to flip through and see my husband's family history through handwriting, birth certificates, Marriage certificates and military history records. I spend so much time looking through other people's family history that it has been fun to see our own. Thanks for sharing some of your family history and for hosting another great party.

Joanne said...

My younger brother is the dedicated family genealogist and keeper of the heritage photos, but with the wonders of technology, most of the records and photos are scanned and on disc shared with the entire family. I am a dedicated memory keeper of my little family's photos and memories and have dedicated many hours of delightful time scrapbooking. Love that you shared a piece of your family history!

Audrey said...

Collecting family photos and history is so time consuming, but interesting. Since all my siblings have passed away, I am more interested in family history. Thanks for hosting a very interesting party and thanks so very much for the feature of my "eggs to market" tray.

Martha's Favorites said...

Love to visit you. Have a wonderful day! Martha

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Wonderful story. I love family history. My mom does all the genealogy in our family. We have 3 historic homes on the National Register in our lineage.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Thanks Jillian. My oldest female cousin has been the family historian. Thank you for Lets Talk Vintage 47 today. I look forward to joining in.

My thrift store addiction said...

Jillian, what wonderful photos! Thank you so much for hosting!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great post on your heritage!! My Mom left me with a huge suitcase of photos that in the Winter, I hope to start working in putting in acid free albums to preserve.......
Thanks so much for hosting!!

Hugs,
Deb

Diana said...

Thanks SO much for the feature, Jill, and for the sweet, sweet remarks--you are so encouraging to me! Thanks also for hosting your lovely party :)

Unknown said...

Jillian:
Thank you for featuring my post from last week!

LOVE your old family photos....all of our photos are precious to me.
I recognized that Brooklyn photo. Those beautiful brownstones are still standing. My husband is originally from Brooklyn and his family is still there.

Funny how things turn out, like you said. Starting in Brooklyn and ending in NJ! I am in South Jersey and love it.

Thanks for another party

Sandi Magle said...

Thanks so much for hosting, and I love seeing your old photos. We really know who we are, until we understand where we come from. Love the old Brooklyn Fire Department photo---such a history there..and many of the old firehouses, still exist. Great step back in time…and so vintage, thanks!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oh I so enjoyed reading about your family history, isn't it wonderful to find things out and to have the old photos to look at? My mom and I are the family history keepers in our clan. So much fun and so rewarding.
Thanks so much for the party and have a great week,
Gina

Victorian1885 said...

Oh Jillian your family photos are so beautiful! What treasures they are...
Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Wanda

Deanies Stash said...

Jillian, I loved looking at your old photographs. I could sit and study old photos and take in the details of their lives. Thanks for sharing them. Have a great week.

Hugs,
Dianne

ornate splendor said...

Hello, Jillian!
Thank you for hosting this lovely linky party!
Catherine

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Thank you for sharing your family photos with Vintage Inspiration Party. Several years ago my youngest son started tracing our family history on my father's side, and I was just matching up photos with the names the other day. Love your features too!!!