Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Vintage Finds of the Week #15: Fun Furniture Finds, About Schmidt, and The Peacock Hat

 
This week seems to be zipping by really fast.
And so is summer.
Maybe it's because I am having so much
fun with vintage finds!
 
 
I almost missed this plant stand or table.
Love the curved lines!
 
Bebe and I were in a local strip mall
making an appointment when
I spotted a small sign on one 
of the shop windows:

GARAGE SALE
 
And lo and behold was this man
selling his parents estate out
of an office or shop space!
 
He figured it was cheaper
than paying for storage and
a place to sell his stuff... so
voila... a garage sale shop!
It was a first for me!
Right before I walked out
with my other finds I noticed
the stand.

He sold it to me for 10.00!
I love it and am looking for
a place to put it in my house.
 
 
And these two Hummels we're
from his parents estate, too.
 
Did you see the movie,
About Schmidt?
 
I always think of that movie
whenever I see Hummels.
Tee Hee!
 
Anyway, I may do an upcoming
"Let's Talk Vintage" post
about them... I learned
their history when I was a
writer for QVC. It was
very interesting, as the
  back story always is!
 


My Hubby found this antique child's folding table.
So cute. No chairs to go along with it, however.
I'm guessing it is from the 1930's.
 

This is a very unique nativity set...
My Mother collects small nativities so
this will probably go to her...
it is small enough to fit in a stocking!
 
 
 
I found this rose book at an estate
sale. Inside are some color images
of roses. Figured I couldn't go
wrong there... you know Bella Rosa!
 
 
I had to do some digging to discover the
black vintage photo album. Sometimes it
pays to dig around. My hubby and I
balance each other out... he is a scanner
and I am a digger. I like to rummage. 
 
The glass door knob was a good find. Even with its
chippy white paint still in place! The milk glass
butter is of a nice heavy quality, I will have
to do some more research because I'm not sure
if it is Westmoreland or not.
 
 
And what's July without a little bit of Christmas.
Speaking of, I think this is the first summer I have
not had my Christmas in July sale. I haven't been
having luck with sales so I'm doing
them less and less.
 
Anyway, this ceramic tree is going to go
into my Retro Etsy shop. I think
there is a sale there, waiting 
to happen this Fall!
 
 
My favorite find from the weekend
(same estate sale as the rose book) 
was this gorgeous black and
iridescent green feather hat.
Peacock most likely? I've
never seen one like it before.
It is so silky and smooth.
 
Thanks so much for taking the
time to check out my latest
finds. If you see anything of
interest, just let me know
before I list them in my
online shop or Etsy shops which
I will start filling again once
Bebe goes back to school.
 
Enjoy the day!

PS. I'll be sharing some of
the PINK THINGS I found
on Friday for "Thinking Pink."

Linking to:
What's It Wednesday
 
 

9 comments:

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh, what amazing finds! I love the door knob and that adorable Christmas tree. You mom is going to love that little nativity, its so precious.
Hugs,
Patti

Rita C at Panoply said...

What a great idea for the man renting the shop to do his parents' sale - lucky you! You got some great items, Jill. Love the nativity and THAT HAT! We had a child's table (with chairs) just like that a few years ago in our booth spaces. It was really cute. The chairs were somewhat of a Windsor back, but less rounded, more narrow. I have one of those vintage ceramic trees that I use every Christmas on a credenza in the LR (main tree's in family room). They remind me of our next door neighbor where I grew up. :)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Lots of fun finds! I really love the folding table and the covered butter...

Sandi Magle said...

Great stuff, Jillian, on a side note I have an unpainted version of the 'child's table' which actually has an inch ruler printed on the edges--for an extra sewing table or even quilter's table. Mine has the same spring folding mechanism and spindles.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

I thought the little folding table was my fave until I saw the HAT! Beautiful. Good that you guys are such a great team lol.

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

love your first photo w/ the black album. It's so much fun this vintage thing... And and garage sale in a strip mall? No way! :)

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I just love those spontaneous sales that pop up when you weren't looking! I saw a sign once that said "Junk" and I followed it...one of the best sales I have ever been to! Oh, that tree is exactly like one I recently sold that got damaged in the mail. So upset at the PO for their mishandling of items sometimes. I hate to see a treasure like that get broken.

Melissa said...

swooning over that green table!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jillian,
Love the plant stand or whatever it is!! And that nativity is so unique!! Thanks so much for sharing as I really love to see what treasures you come across!!

Hugs,
Deb