Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Let's Talk Vintage #16: Beautiful Mother of Pearl Buttons

 
 
Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!
We are on our 16th week of this fantastic
journey of sharing the love
of nostalgic, vintage, and timeless things.
 
This week I am taking a closer look at
mother of pearl buttons.
 
 
They are very unique and fun to collect.
 
 
From their smooth, silky touch
to their visual appeal,
these buttons are uniquely individual...
with each becoming its own treasure.
 


 
From pretty designs to

 
Intricate carved details
 
 
Or smooth, flat tops
 

 
And some aren't even a button at all!
 
My fascination with M.O.P. just began this past year.
Everytime I come across a bag of old buttons
I start to dig through and look for these old gems!
 
Take a look at some quick information
 I found on Wikipedia:
 
* M.O.P comes from the inner layer of a certain type of shell called nacre.
* Nacre also makes up the outer coating of pearls
*Widely used for pearl buttons especially during the 1900s, were the shells of the great green turban snail and the large top snail.
*The international trade in mother of pearl is governed by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, an agreement signed by more than 170 countries.
 
Wow! All the information you needed to know and more! It is very interesting to dig in and discover the who, what, when, where, and why of vintage things, isn't it?
 
Here are this week's features:


Last week we saw a few vintage
 finds from Deanie's Stash.
The little girl patterns are adorable!
 
 
 Joyce at the Quilted Nest shared
her love of vintage illustrations in this
antique Bible Story book.
 
 
shared this vintage door from her
hunt last week. Can't wait to see how
she uses it in the future!
 
 
 
Now it's your turn! Let's talk vintage!
 
 





Also joining with these creative link parties:
Ivy and Elephants for "what's it Wednesday"
Betsy and Friends' Vintage Inspiration Party
and Jann's Share Your Cup Thursday

13 comments:

Miss Kathy said...

Love the buttons! I have a bit of a stash of these treasures and have toyed around with them, separating them into colors and like kinds. Some are real works of art. So blessed to have inherited my grandmother's many tins of buttons. Great feature! Hope you haven't been too buried in the snow this week. For us in Vineland, it's pretty much been a bust. Snow this morning, but not more than an inch or two expected.
Stay cozy!
Joy!
Kathy

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Jillian,
Your mother of pearl buttons are so pretty. Thanks so much for hosting and have a great week!
Gina

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Good morning Jillian. Thank you for Lets Talk Vintage no. 16. Nice to see your collection with a bit of 'how they were made' added. Have a great week.

Joy

Diana said...

I love your mother of pearl buttons, Jillian. Thanks so much for the feature of my door this week :)

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jillian,
Thanks for hosting and sharing those beautiful MOP buttons! I will now be looking through my button stash....

Hugs,
Deb

My thrift store addiction said...

I love those pretty buttons! Thanks so much for hosting! Blessings, Cecilia

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

aww - thanks for the feature. Love old buttons!

Ivy and Elephants said...

The buttons are just fabulous! I have some, but not with the patina and detail you have. Sooo pretty!
Thanks so much for hosting.
Hugs,
Patti

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Fabulous collection of M.O.P. buttons! I have a few and love them as well. Happy to be joining in the fun this week!
hugs,
Jann

Deanies Stash said...

I love MOP buttons and buckles. Yours are beautiful. I collect them, too. I especially love the buttons when I can find them on their original cards. Thank you so much for the feature of my patterns. Hope you have a super week!

Hugs,
Dianne

Victoria said...

Beautiful buttons! My mom sewed a lot in the 60's and 70's and I remember being fascinated with all her buttons. Looks like your party's growing!!! I'll have to unprivatize and join in one of these days:)

Absolutely in love with my new mug and the little butterfly you added in the package is so lovely:) Thank you so much!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I've always loved mother of pearl buttons, especially the old carved ones. Thanks for sharing them at Vintage Inspiration Party.

Maria said...

I have a collection of vintage buttons,
Love if you stop by My Fabulous Friday Party and Share your beautiful treasures. thanks Maria http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-friday-party-23/