Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Let's Talk Vintage #10: Tidbits of Vintage Toy History

Welcome to "Let's Talk Vintage," a linky party I host every Tuesday morning at 9, where we all get a chance to share in our passion for vintage.

 
My hubby and I love to look for vintage things. Of course, right? I mean, I talk about it all the time.

What makes our "team" great though, is our different tastes... he likes furniture, tools, and old toys. In fact, he loves finding old toys! He is a kid at heart.

My Sister gave us this great book a couple of Christmases ago: "Under the Tree: The Toys and Treats that Made Christmas Special 1930-1970" by Susan Waggoner. It is awesome! Filled with anything and everything about what we found under the tree.


There are some neat glimpses of some toys and their history by the author:

Crayons... Did you know the first pack of Crayola crayons was sold in 1903?

Legos..... They were created in Denmark and imported to the US in 1958.

Dollhouses..... One of the first was made in the mid 1500's for the Duke of
Bavaria.

Easy Bake Oven.....Introduced in 1964 and 16 million had sold by the end of the 20th century.


Monopoly.....  Was the talk of the 1935 Toy Fair and sold 20,000 in its first week. It became the best selling board game by Christmas!


How fun! There are so many more morsels of info that I could go on and on...


but I want to hear from you. I love
what you find, what you're making with
vintage things,  or what you are selling.
 
In my previous LTV party, we saw some great
vintage Christmas posts, like this one from Ann Marie at
 Musings of a Vintage Junkie, of her decorated home.
 
 

and we also saw some great Christmas finds from
Just look at these cool ornaments!


Now it is your turn! Let's see what inspired you
this week, go ahead... feel free to link up
as many times as you'd like! This LTV link up
is still in the early stage, so the more the merrier!



5 comments:

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Wow! I am thrilled to be featured on your great party! Thank you!!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I love both the gals you featured! Such vintage goodness they share. I collect old toys and display them in our bonus room. I have a 2 year old grandson that overtime he comes he heads straight up there and gets the old tin cars. I will be joining when I get a chance to post about my latest finds. Have a very Merry Christmas!
hugs,
Jann

Deanies Stash said...

I would love to have that book Under the Tree. I remember wearing out the Christmas catalogs when we were growing up. Just found your party and hope to be a regular! Thanks!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Loved partying with you, thanks so much for the invitation. I just love vintage!
Hugs,
Patti

My thrift store addiction said...

Hi there--just catching up to see I was featured! Thanks so much & Merry Christmas! Cecilia